Sunday, April 13, 2014

BAA Volunteering for Packet Stuffing Day

I had heard about packet stuffing day from my friends who were members of L Street and Merrimack Valley Striders Clubs. They talked about how much fun it was and of course at the end of your shift you get to receive the coveted volunteer jacket and Marathon pin. I never imagined that I would be a part of this amazing event but then again there are a lot of things I "never imagined" doing (like running the 2009 Boston Marathon) but were clearly a part of imagining events I would like to be a part of.

I feel so blessed to have been a part of this morning's packet stuffing day and want to give a huge thanks and shout out to Tom Licciardello, who by the way wrote this amazing article about this year's marathon: Boston Marathon Buildup Intensifies as Race Draws Near.

It is so exciting to be a part of support crew and see what goes on behind the scenes to put together the runners' packets. I remember that feeling of exhilaration when we picked up our number and our bag on 4/18/2009. Who knew that there were over 50 people/shift working side by side to make sure we had our programs and all the information we needed about race day. Here are the photos from our shift including a photo with my Tom holding a book that Tom's wife, Lyn put together to commemorate the 2013 Boston Marathon. Enjoy!



And for all of my runner friends near and far, here is my poem Ode to Marathon Training from A Celebration of Life to inspire you:

Ode to Marathon Training - March 22, 2009
Blisters, black toes, aches and pains, a change in my routine
Long training runs, the hills, the sprints running clothes fresh and clean.
Carbo load and plan each meal power gels and gatorade
no matter what the weather no time to be afraid.
Humid - hot or freezing cold snow against the face
wind or sun or raining those running shoes I must lace.
What mile is this how long we been out check heart rate drink H20
meltdowns joys and triumphs only a few more weeks to go.
Heartbreak Hill won't break my heart this year has been the best
found myself and made new friends I feel incredibly blessed.


My memoir, "Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing, Hope and Possibility" which chronicles my 7 year healing odyssey including my 2009 Boston Marathon run and healing in the wake of the Boston Marathon 4/15/13 is also available through Amazon.






No comments:

Followers